Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
matthackney

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #1 

http://cmac.tv/show/?id=2969

We're hoping to try again soon using a scripted game, Artemis-controlled studio lights, and a better prepared studio crew.

I directed the program. I know the game, but the camera operators did not. It was a lot of "Camera 2 show me coms.......the guy in the Tricorne!"

ryleyra

Registered:
Posts: 3,007
Reply with quote  #2 
Awesome. It's too bad time ran out, they were almost done with clearing that group, and I think there was like one other. That was a bad time to order shields down, though. [biggrin]
kwadroke

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 31
Reply with quote  #3 
I caught the last 5 minutes of it. Pretty cool getting it on TV. 
Are you trying to make this a re-occurring show?

__________________

The Starship Bridge Simulation Network - http://bridgesim.net

"News, discussions, and information to make your simulation experience more immersive!"

MarkBell

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,955
Reply with quote  #4 
Fantastic! That looks great. You mentioned DMX lights, are you thinking uniforms too? Calling for "yellow shirt" might be easier for the camera guys lol

When we did that short film with Thom a few years ago, we did find we needed rashly significantly beefy lights for the DMX to even be noticeable against normal room lighting, let alone studio lighting. Ate you thinking sets, too?

__________________
Note - this is in no way intended to be an official position of Thom or Artemis, as I am not an official representative of the creator or game.
William

Registered:
Posts: 115
Reply with quote  #5 
Matt you did an excellent job. Just out a curiosity how many screen taps and how many cameras did you use? I was hoping to do the exact same thing at the Armada. And possibly stream out to the rest of the Artemis community.
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/armada-main-screen-test-7938347?pid=1291335324
Most of the equipment that I had ordered did not show up in time. Although most of the tests with the equipment that I had on hand turned out exceptional. Matt I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about directing this production.

Off-topic wish list. Getting MarkBell on your side

Mark this is a good reason why the game needs a lower light in the render engine of the game. Black bottom ships. As seen on TV.



matthackney

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwadroke
I caught the last 5 minutes of it. Pretty cool getting it on TV. 
Are you trying to make this a re-occurring show?


We want to shoot more of these, but it will depend on some future tests and maybe some mission scripting. If we could find a story arch, it would almost be like watching a mini series.
matthackney

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBell
Fantastic! That looks great. You mentioned DMX lights, are you thinking uniforms too? Calling for "yellow shirt" might be easier for the camera guys lol When we did that short film with Thom a few years ago, we did find we needed rashly significantly beefy lights for the DMX to even be noticeable against normal room lighting, let alone studio lighting. Ate you thinking sets, too?

Since there's no budget, we're gonna take it one step at a time. If we can get the lights working, maybe we'll add some uniforms. I don't think sets are in the plan, but we do have the option of adding a green screen and using a "virtual set." It's all part of the cmac.tv studio we're using.

As for the lights, they are already DMX and controlled via an iPad. I'd like to switch all of the lights to Artemis, but we might leave the main lighting on a separate system. 

matthackney

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Matt you did an excellent job. Just out a curiosity how many screen taps and how many cameras did you use? I was hoping to do the exact same thing at the Armada. And possibly stream out to the rest of the Artemis community.
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/armada-main-screen-test-7938347?pid=1291335324
Most of the equipment that I had ordered did not show up in time. Although most of the tests with the equipment that I had on hand turned out exceptional. Matt I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about directing this production.

Off-topic wish list. Getting MarkBell on your side

Mark this is a good reason why the game needs a lower light in the render engine of the game. Black bottom ships. As seen on TV.





We were in a TV studio, so we had access to a Tricaster video switcher. There were 4 cameras, 3 computers, and the split screen preset. Basically 8 sources to switch between. For the computers we ran the server in as a source and split it to go to the projector. Then used one pc with Observer and then another with Data stations. While directing I would switch the tabs on data to whatever I needed. I also had to bring up the graphics wth every one's name. Going forward I'll have more people in the control room or we'll add them in after the shoot.

The split screen I would do again, but I would probably have fewer cameras. We were running low on HDMI converters with all of the computers, but I would have liked to have had a GoPro mounted on top of the projector screen for a wide shot of the bridge. I think the Data source wasn't needed, but the observer shot was good.

We have the option to isolate all of the inputs, so we can record the final switched version as well as each separate camera/computer. It makes fixing things much easier. For your purposes a tricaster might be a bit pricey, but there may be a public access alternative in your area.

Here at CMAC.tv they charge $50/year for access to all the gear and the studio.

Menbailee

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #9 
Awesome, and what a good rate you got for access to that equipment!  Your crew manages to sound much more professional than mine, and it's fun to see one of these videos where you can watch both the teamwork and the tactics.  I think anyone watching this can get a good sense for why Artemis is fun.

I've always thought that a series of videos playing a campaign of scripted missions would be fun to watch.  If the bridge received some very subtle characterization, it could easily feel like watching Star Trek.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.