Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Newcommerin

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello fellow home stranded, distant friends.

I had a bit free time to spend (yes, because of corona) and took it to do a - well - weird project.
I can't remember to whom I talked about it many months or better years ago. It is a themed Park of vacation homes where you kinda LARP from the beginning to the end of your stay. To improve my English I translated the homepage and would appreciate any comments to it, spelling mistakes, bad translations, weird grammar, ...

So if anyone has spare time and maybe want to laugh or dream, here is the adress:

AmRandeDerRealitaet

__________________
Sorry, English is not my native language, I am German.
(* I wish I would live in America, I wish I would... *)
Any mistakes you can find, you can keep and with the spelling mistakes you can cook you an alphabet soup.

My Artemis Homepage: https://star-ship-academy.jimdo.com/
NoseyNick

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 112
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcommerin

So if anyone has spare time and maybe want to laugh or dream, here is the adress:
AmRandeDerRealitaet


Your cookie warning is still very German.

The menus feel very German too, but I guess I get the hang of "[some-word] engl" being SOMETHING in English.

"and in the cruiser a garden awaits you" sounds funny, not quite sure what you mean.

"you should rather book another accommodation" should maybe be "you may prefer to book other accommodation"

"three ready meals a day" sounds like microwave food ("ready meals"), which MIGHT be what you meant, otherwise You may prefer to say something like "we prepare 3 meals a day for you". Do the guests cook, or the staff?

"Zur Buching" button not translated. "In Den Warenkorb" also. Your privacy policy needs translating too.

"The immediate check-out will take place" sounds awkward. "you will be checked out immediately" is better.

"Alcohol is forbidden on the spaceships", WHAT? I thought this was in Germany?!?  [eek] [wink]

"Mind game" probably isn't quite what you mean. Mind games are usually designed to deliberately confuse, perplex, perhaps even intimidate people. I think you mean something like "business proposal" or a "fun idea" or something?

Some of "wichtiges-eng" sounds a bit intimidating for a HOLIDAY, but overall sounds like, yeah, a fun idea   [thumb]

Newcommerin

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #3 
NoseyNick,thank you for your detailed review! [thumb] I will do the changes this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

Your cookie warning is still very German.


Yes, this is website host I think, I can't change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

The menus feel very German too, but I guess I get the hang of "[some-word] engl" being SOMETHING in English.


I didn't intend to show them, but I will rename them in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

"and in the cruiser a garden awaits you" sounds funny, not quite sure what you mean.


The cruiser has two build in gardens (one for smokers and one for non-smoker) - as part of the attraction it is "waiting" there for you to use it. I don't know how to write it understandable but short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

"three ready meals a day" sounds like microwave food ("ready meals"), which MIGHT be what you meant, otherwise You may prefer to say something like "we prepare 3 meals a day for you". Do the guests cook, or the staff?


With "ready" I meant the staff is cooking, but I see your point. *laughing* Just like the "black eye" (someone hits you on the eye and the skin changes the color), in German it is a "blue eye" and "the black eye" is a German role playing game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

"Zur Buching" button not translated. "In Den Warenkorb" also. Your privacy policy needs translating too.


I'll translate the buttons, but with the privacy policy it is the same with the cookie warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

"Alcohol is forbidden on the spaceships", WHAT? I thought this was in Germany?!?  [eek] [wink]


Ehhhm, yes? I don't want drunken helmsmen to ruin the holiday of all other guests... Regardless of being German or any other nation. [wink]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

"Mind game" probably isn't quite what you mean. Mind games are usually designed to deliberately confuse, perplex, perhaps even intimidate people. I think you mean something like "business proposal" or a "fun idea" or something?


"Fun idea" *laughing again* Yes, of course - it is just a "mind game" for me, driving me crazy because I can't build it. 😃

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

Some of "wichtiges-eng" sounds a bit intimidating for a HOLIDAY, but overall sounds like, yeah, a fun idea   [thumb]


Yes, that is right. But Germans are very... rules driven? If there isn't a rule that you are not allowed to do something, then they will do it and feel like they have any right to do it... kinda stupid, I know.
If I ever will win the lottery, I will start the project. [wink]

__________________
Sorry, English is not my native language, I am German.
(* I wish I would live in America, I wish I would... *)
Any mistakes you can find, you can keep and with the spelling mistakes you can cook you an alphabet soup.

My Artemis Homepage: https://star-ship-academy.jimdo.com/
Jimm

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcommerin
(* I wish I would live in America, I wish I would... *)


No you would not want to live in America - virus or no virus.  😋

I escaped from the US in 2000 to live in Europe (Germany for 7 years and now Denmark for 13 years) and never looked back.    Saner, generally safer, 20+ days mandatory paid vacation a year, and healthcare that works.  We got it much better here in Europe. [tongue]

That said, I really, really like the concept of a 'theme cottage' or 'theme hotel' using Artemis.  Or any other bridge simulator, for that matter. 

You could start introducing the idea to small companies or organizations looking for a novel 'team building' event away from the office.   And decide on developing the project based on the amount of interest you receive.

Later, once you are established, you can widen the possibility to providing the bridge simulator to local teams, or even 'nerd families' - those who all like sci-fi - where the "kids" are at least 15-16 and up.

You could even time availability with near-by sci-fi conventions/expo/Messe.

I can imagine this idea growing into a complete 'apartment' designed as a spaceship - crew quarters, mess hall, conference room to discuss past missions, all surrounding the bridge.  😃

Doesn't Germany still have 'überbrückungsgeld' for starting small businesses?  I was able to use that quite successfully back in 2003-2005 to start a freelance web consulting business.


__________________
"I know nothing!" - Sgt. Schultz (Hogan's Heroes)

About Jimm:  http://about.me/jimm.pratt
NoseyNick

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 112
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcommerin
The cruiser has two build in gardens (one for smokers and one for non-smoker) - as part of the attraction it is "waiting" there for you to use it. I don't know how to write it understandable but short.


Aha! THAT is perfect English, and would do fine   [biggrin]

Maybe "The cruiser also has 2 gardens on board" or similar.

Quote:
With "ready" I meant the staff is cooking, but I see your point. *laughing* Just like the "black eye" (someone hits you on the eye and the skin changes the color), in German it is a "blue eye" and "the black eye" is a German role playing game...


Hey! Do you cook any interesting alien dishes? Could have a lot of fun with food colouring, strange combinations of flavours, and making things into odd shapes  [biggrin]

Quote:
Ehhhm, yes? I don't want drunken helmsmen to ruin the holiday of all other guests... Regardless of being German or any other nation. [wink]

Germany famous for great beer and Oktoberfest - except oktoberfest is apparently covid-cancelled this year [bawl]

Personally I'd probably allow alcohol "in moderation" but hey, it's your ship, you're welcome to have it teetotal if you wish.

Quote:
"Fun idea" *laughing again* Yes, of course - it is just a "mind game" for me, driving me crazy because I can't build it. 😃


"Flight of fancy" or "Fantasy" might be closer to what you were trying to convey?

Quote:
If I ever will win the lottery, I will start the project. [wink]


I find myself often saying "When I retire rich..." - but that itself is probably a fantasy too!   [rolleyes]
Newcommerin

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

Hey! Do you cook any interesting alien dishes? Could have a lot of fun with food colouring, strange combinations of flavours, and making things into odd shapes  [biggrin]


Since I am no cook, I just do weird things like this:
Wasserkuchen-2.jpg 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

Germany famous for great beer and Oktoberfest - except oktoberfest is apparently covid-cancelled this year [bawl]


Yes, both is true - but I don't like beer. [wink]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

"Flight of fancy" or "Fantasy" might be closer to what you were trying to convey?

I fell in love with "flight of fancy" because in this case it is a wordgame too. 😃


__________________
Sorry, English is not my native language, I am German.
(* I wish I would live in America, I wish I would... *)
Any mistakes you can find, you can keep and with the spelling mistakes you can cook you an alphabet soup.

My Artemis Homepage: https://star-ship-academy.jimdo.com/
Newcommerin

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm

No you would not want to live in America - virus or no virus.  😋


If you put it that way, yes. I don't want to be there for the rest of my life, but for a couple of months like a year or two I would be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm

You could start introducing the idea to small companies or organizations looking for a novel 'team building' event away from the office.   And decide on developing the project based on the amount of interest you receive.

Later, once you are established, you can widen the possibility to providing the bridge simulator to local teams, or even 'nerd families' - those who all like sci-fi - where the "kids" are at least 15-16 and up.

You could even time availability with near-by sci-fi conventions/expo/Messe.


That is a good idea, but in my plans it has 6 cruisers, 2 frigates and one scout, a nearby mall shaped as a space station and a tropical paradise for swimming. I have a plan for about 70 employees. And it only works like this, if I do it smaller it won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm

I can imagine this idea growing into a complete 'apartment' designed as a spaceship - crew quarters, mess hall, conference room to discuss past missions, all surrounding the bridge.  😃


Sorry, but this idea is way beyond that point. This is more of a skyscraper full of these "apartments".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm

Doesn't Germany still have 'überbrückungsgeld' for starting small businesses? 


Yes, but the buisiness plan I have to do, would not be accepted because it will probably  not return the investments - wich has to be huge.

__________________
Sorry, English is not my native language, I am German.
(* I wish I would live in America, I wish I would... *)
Any mistakes you can find, you can keep and with the spelling mistakes you can cook you an alphabet soup.

My Artemis Homepage: https://star-ship-academy.jimdo.com/
NoseyNick

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 112
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcommerin
Since I am no cook, I just do weird things like this:


Wow! Well I guess if that was PART of a meal - "You humans have very specific nutritional requirements, but once you have eaten your earth-food, here is a special Torgoth delicacy we have prepared for you!"  [rofl]

Quote:
That is a good idea, but in my plans it has 6 cruisers, 2 frigates and one scout, a nearby mall shaped as a space station and a tropical paradise for swimming. I have a plan for about 70 employees. And it only works like this, if I do it smaller it won't work.


Honestly you gotta start somewhere, and I can't imagine it starting as a massive venture. Prove you can do it smaller, and investors might be interested in making it bigger.

BTW, Artemis can only handle 8 ships on one server, 42nd Fleet has struggled to get 7 ships on a server, even internationally over the internet. You have 9 above. I guess you could split them across more than 1 server but even so, you're pushing your luck!

Newcommerin

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

Wow! Well I guess if that was PART of a meal - "You humans have very specific nutritional requirements, but once you have eaten your earth-food, here is a special Torgoth delicacy we have prepared for you!"  [rofl]


Well, it is edible, but does not have any taste. I am experimenting with some syrup for taste an color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

Honestly you gotta start somewhere, and I can't imagine it starting as a massive venture. Prove you can do it smaller, and investors might be interested in making it bigger.


To be honest, I don't really think it will be reality. It is to specific and there are not many "hardcore" fans out there to keep it busy all year - espacially in Germany.
It has 210 beds in 110 rooms, that is not "very" big for a hotel like accommodation. The mall and tropical bath won't payoff if they are just visited by a handfull of people a day. To keep it like a LARP, the mall can't be visited by "normal" humans because it would destroy the illusion. The swimming bath can be opend to everyone, since it could be a risa-like destination for everyone. In my mind everything is working hand in hand, so it is not easy to "tear down" a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

BTW, Artemis can only handle 8 ships on one server, 42nd Fleet has struggled to get 7 ships on a server, even internationally over the internet. You have 9 above. I guess you could split them across more than 1 server but even so, you're pushing your luck!


The ships are build as triplets, 2 cruiser and one frigate or scout. So it would be just three Ships together. Here is a sketch of it:
Parkplan.jpg 


__________________
Sorry, English is not my native language, I am German.
(* I wish I would live in America, I wish I would... *)
Any mistakes you can find, you can keep and with the spelling mistakes you can cook you an alphabet soup.

My Artemis Homepage: https://star-ship-academy.jimdo.com/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.