Originally Posted by daid
Long time no post. But, progress has been made! The server crash has been fixed. And a lot of additions/changes have been made.
New release is up at http://emptyepsilon.org/
So, this features: (compared to the January release)
* A tutorial. Please give feedback on this, as it's in a rough state.
* Enemies with different shield setups, not just front back, but also 1, 3 or even 5 shield sections.
* Relay can link one of it's probe to science, and then science can view&scan the area around this probe.
* Enemy ships will try to destroy your probes.
* Whole bunch of extra functions for scenario scripting. Including the option to define communication scripts inside of the scenario. (See the "Ghost from the Past" scenario as example)
* Scenario variations. A scenario can now define that it has different play variations. For example the Waves scenario you can select a variation that starts off harder and progresses quicker. For more experienced crews.
* New missile weapon type. HVLI, High Velocity Lead Impactor. Fires 5 shots in a row, does not home or turn. (Only available in the player fighter ship at the moment, as well as some enemies)
* Bunch of new 3D models for some ships.
* New radar traces, makes scanned ships visually different on radars.
* Allow missile tubes to be specific for certain weapons. For example the missile cruiser for the players has 2 tubes dedicated to homing missiles.
* Raw scanner data overlay. Science can now "see" beyond it's normal radar range, if you manage to interpret this data.
* AI ships can now use nukes and EMPs.
Naturally there are a bunch of other small tweaks and fixes.
Also, hardware DMX support has been tested on actual USB2DMX hardware. See:
For reference, in January the following changes where made:
* Probes take time to regenerate when docked (no longer unlimited probes while docked)
* Jump drive has a charge level, after jumping it need to recharge. Making engineers job a bit harder, no longer just put power in the jumpdrive when jumping. Which felt like a cheat.
* Added ships log, where relay can read back all conversation pieces.
* Beam weapon colors
* Ghost from the past scenario (by Fouindor)
* Alert levels (red alert, yellow alert)