Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
skalchemist

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi: Enjoy Artemis a lot so far. We are playing over internet and sadly disconnects seem somewhat frequent. Usually the person can reconnect with no problem, but sometimes the position is still listed as taken even though the person is not connected.

Is there any way to "boot" someone from the server side? Also, any pointers on how to minimize disconnects?
ryleyra

Registered:
Posts: 2,915
Reply with quote  #2 
Unfortunately, I had that problem once a while back and there was no way to resolve it except to just let the server catch up with the disconnect. In my case there was a bit of a panic as it was Helm that disconnected, and we got halfway across the sector before I remembered I could cut the power to Warp from Engineering. 😃

IIRC the Helm DID eventually disconnect, although I think I had to try to connect to it again to force it offline. As you noted, it shows as "Taken" but I think the act of connecting and disconnecting forced it to check the connection. (Of course, it could also have just timed out)

You might also try pausing the simulation and trying something like backing out to the ship selection screen.
skalchemist

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyra
Unfortunately, I had that problem once a while back and there was no way to resolve it except to just let the server catch up with the disconnect. In my case there was a bit of a panic as it was Helm that disconnected, and we got halfway across the sector before I remembered I could cut the power to Warp from Engineering. 😃

IIRC the Helm DID eventually disconnect, although I think I had to try to connect to it again to force it offline. As you noted, it shows as "Taken" but I think the act of connecting and disconnecting forced it to check the connection. (Of course, it could also have just timed out)

You might also try pausing the simulation and trying something like backing out to the ship selection screen.
Oooh, how to you pause the simulation?  Can that be done on client side?  Server side?  

Interestingly, it was the helm that was having the most problems in our games last night as well.
NoseyNick

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #4 
Hit escape on the server and there's a menu item to pause simulation.

As for the disconnection problem, yup, seen it myself. Losing Eng is bad. Losing Helm is awful.

It OUGHT to be possible to tweak your TCP stack settings (this will be registry stuff on Windows, or sysctl.conf stuff on Linux+WINE) to have the disconnection happen faster, but it's a bit of a black art. Start at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/170359/how-to-modify-the-tcp-ip-maximum-retransmission-time-out but KEEP DETAILED NOTES and I accept no responsibility for breaking your machine!   [tounge2]
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,231
Reply with quote  #5 
Having a manual kick from server button would be really great.
__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
skalchemist

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick
Hit escape on the server and there's a menu item to pause simulation.

As for the disconnection problem, yup, seen it myself. Losing Eng is bad. Losing Helm is awful.

It OUGHT to be possible to tweak your TCP stack settings (this will be registry stuff on Windows, or sysctl.conf stuff on Linux+WINE) to have the disconnection happen faster, but it's a bit of a black art. Start at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/170359/how-to-modify-the-tcp-ip-maximum-retransmission-time-out but KEEP DETAILED NOTES and I accept no responsibility for breaking your machine!   [tounge2]
Just knowing about the escape menu on the server side is helpful, thanks!  I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to try that.

The TCP tweaking is far outside my scope, I wouldn't try that without a much clearer idea that it would actually help the problem.  
NoseyNick

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsabbat
Having a manual kick from server button would be really great.

It would... but can you imagine the potential for abuse?!?   [frown]

skalchemist

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick

It would... but can you imagine the potential for abuse?!?   [frown]

I'm not sure I can.  How would it be abused?  I mean, the controller of the server can just shut it down at any time anyway, why would being able to kick someone make that worse?
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,231
Reply with quote  #9 
I, mean, yeah; Technically the person running the game could boot a player for no reason, but if it were for no reason I'm sure the community they play with wont be very happy about it.
__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
NoseyNick

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #10 
Ah, I see, sorry, as long as ONLY THE SERVER OPERATOR can do the kicking, it's probably fair and not open to abuse. If any old client can kick, I can forsee "I want helm! No, I want helm! No, I want helm!"   [redface], or even "I'm sick of you lot, I'm gonna kick you ALL off".
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,231
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseyNick
Ah, I see, sorry, as long as ONLY THE SERVER OPERATOR can do the kicking, it's probably fair and not open to abuse. If any old client can kick, I can forsee "I want helm! No, I want helm! No, I want helm!"   [redface], or even "I'm sick of you lot, I'm gonna kick you ALL off".


Ok, thats a real fear. Especially with some con crews Ive seen. *shudder*)

__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
ryleyra

Registered:
Posts: 2,915
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalchemist
Just knowing about the escape menu on the server side is helpful, thanks!  I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to try that. 


It is a little obscure, since for the sake of immersion there's no indication that the server responds to ESC, or any keypresses at all.

A menu option on the server menu to disconnect a client might be helpful, both in emergencies and as a "kick" function. Of course, Artemis players are usually a good sort, and not prone to abusing exploits or other players. 😃

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.