Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
wasabi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I wanted to see if I could get Atremis working on a touchscreen chrome book using wine and I guess I did and I didn't.  I figured I would post how I did and then how I didn't so that the folks at home could play along too. 

The tl;dr here is that it does work, and wasn't too hard to get 2.7 running but upgrading it to 2.7.1 broke something.

Here my friends is my harrowing tale:

I picked up two 14 inch HP touchscreen chromebooks on Canadian blackfriday sale.  We have blackfriday as well here but its in Canadian money so its only about 75% as good as the US one.  They have 4gb ram and a 32gb internal card for storage so I figured they would be perfect for running Artemis if I could get them running linux/Wine.  It was from this very forum that I read that this was a possibility so pat yourselves on the back there.

First I downloaded crouton and set the chromebook into developer mode.  The instructions on how to do all that are here:  https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

--WARNING IF YOU DO THIS AND MESS UP YOUR CHROMEBOOK I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THIS ISN"T VERY DANGEROUS TO DO AND PRETTY EASY TO RECOVER FROM (AND REAL NEATO) BUT ONE THE OTHER OTHER HAND YOU KNOW HOW PEOPLE CAN BE SPILLING KOOL-AID ON THEIR KEYBOARD AND BLAMING THE CAT ETC--

I tried installing installing a crouton target with the default ubuntu target and installing wine from the apt-get installer and it didn't work well.  I was able to install Artemis but it would crash after the screen resolution selection page.  I read that both the xenial distro and the stable version of WINE were quite out of date so figured that I should try a newer version of ubuntu and use the suggested WINE install from the wine repository instead of the default package.  To this end I installed bionic with the magic spell:

sudo ~/Downloads/crouton -r bionic -t touch,xfce,keyboard


After all the load and build stuff I had a super cool ubuntu bionic installation on my chromebook and I launched it and then set up the wine repository as recommended by winehq website:  https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

First I set up the  32 bit x86 architecture just to be safe, then since the bionic distro is ubuntu 18.04 I followed the instructions to install he repository from winwhq.org and pulled the triggers.  It all installed like a charm.

Then I simply ran the Artemis installer, installed Artemis to the virtual C:/Artemis folder just to keep things easy to find.  It installed ok, prompted me to install mono and geko and whatnot.  The installer mentioned I might need to install Directx 9 but I knew from ancient lore this to be a trick, so I ignored that and just finished the install.   Once it was done I launched Artemis from the new icon and it all ran.

Then I ran the 7.2.1 installer and broke it. 

I'm not going to paste the crash dump here but I kept it and can provide it to anyone who might want to see it.  I tried installing the original 2.7 install overtop and that seemed to fix the problem so I called it a day for now.

So that is it.  Works, sort of. Thanks for reading my tale of woe and hopefully this is useful to you.  I'm going to keep chipping away at this and perhaps I will find a solution, or perhaps there will be a new update or someone will come forward with a crouton target for Artemis that makes it redundant. Think well of me, at least until I publish my what Artemis really needs manifesto (hint: it involves tractor beams).

your pal,
Wasabi


##################UPDATE############

Alas I am all mispoke and am full of beans here.  Sorry for posting conclusions before all the facts were in.

After a bit more toying around some more I have discovered that it isn't the version of Artemis at all whats the problem, it is some terrible confluence between the screen resolution and what I can only assume either background cosmic radiation fluctuation, or happenstance.  I can get 2.7 to run except sometimes it crashes, and sometimes it works, depending on which resolution I choose. AND I can get 2.7.1 to work with an arcane combination of fate and resolution as well.  There is no rhyme or reason to it and one minute a particular combination of fullscreen/resolution works now and then next time it is windowed/other resolution that is the solution.  Once it works it seems to work ok and I can fly about connected to the server like a champ, but I'm certainly having some issues with the touchscreen, the game resolution and the chromebook.
wasabi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #2 
Update to the update.

I installed all this on the other identical chromebook and that one works fine for the most part running at 1366x768 which is the max resolution these can push.  I did notice that the winehq repository for bionic had pushed out an update so that might have been it, or it might have been something funny with the first install.  The launcher still fails on occasion but I just try again and once it gets to the start server/client screen it seems to be fine.

Anyway I'm happy to report that 2.7.1 works fine and I'll be taking these bad boys out for a spin tonight to see how they roll.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.