Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Mike Substelny

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,741
Reply with quote  #1 
I have placed the latest versions of four of my mission scripts here for you to download. These include the canonical battles "The Sirius Feint" and "The Battle of Elihu 12."

I have not tested them with Artemis 2.3. Please let me know if they work or malfunction for you.

__________________
"The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight."
- Winston Churchill
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,094
Reply with quote  #2 
Any chance of getting the originals? Would like to play them on the version they were made for.
__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001, AKA the Snackbar (Dayton, OH)
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
Mike Substelny

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,741
Reply with quote  #3 
I have the originals that were played at Armada One on my laptop. I would like to believe that these versions will play exactly the same in Artemis 2.3 as the originals did at Armada One. The main difference is that the code for spawning monsters has changed, so if you run these in the old software the lines of code that spawn monsters might cause crashes. I do not yet know whether the changes to enemy speeds will affect these scripts in any noticeable way.
__________________
"The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight."
- Winston Churchill
Nighthawk

Registered:
Posts: 141
Reply with quote  #4 
Just did a quick test of them, and they seem to work just fine.
The Hamak mission began lagging up on me before the first docking event, but that might be my network link acting up... good scripting on that one, btw.


For experienced crews, I doubt they would be an issue with an expert management of energy.
I like to keep things slow and savory, but if you push the warp a little harder, you have time to spare.
That surprise attack in "The Sirius Feint" caught me off guard, because I was waiting for some comm message to show up, but it's totally within reaction time of any crew.


SteampunkSkunk

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #5 
I will be running Artemis at a convention this Easter for many groups of players and plan to run these missions for my players (not for profit).  I myself am an experienced player but have never played your missions.  I expect about 1/2 my players will have played before (but wont be very experienced).  Is there anything I should know about these missions before I run them?  Is there any documentation I can read beforehand? I will have a GM terminal I can access during the game.  Thanks.
Arrew

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,721
Reply with quote  #6 
Also wasn't one of them for a Jump ship, will that be released too?

Thanks.
Arrew

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,721
Reply with quote  #7 
I had some serious lag issues with The Battle of Elihu 12, when large numbers of fighters were in play. But that could have been linked to me recording at the time?

I did have a couple of bugs though.

1. Manual targeting wouldn't work. Clicking on the enemy just exited and deselected them instead of firing.
2. Automated DamCons didn't do anything. Though toggling Automated on and off a couple of times seemed to jolt them into action.
Mike Substelny

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,741
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteampunkSkunk
I will be running Artemis at a convention this Easter for many groups of players and plan to run these missions for my players (not for profit).  I myself am an experienced player but have never played your missions.  I expect about 1/2 my players will have played before (but wont be very experienced).  Is there anything I should know about these missions before I run them?  Is there any documentation I can read beforehand? I will have a GM terminal I can access during the game.  Thanks.


I believe every one of the mission scripts has a ReadMe file. You should read these and use information in them to brief the crews before the battle.

There was one more canonical battle at Artemis Armada One canned "Operation Ocelot" that I have not yet re-released. It played well enough in Artemis 2.1.x, but it got laggy and crashed in Artemis 2.2.x. This seemed to be related to the large number of Arvonian carriers because the crash happened when all of the carriers launched their fighters. I would like to try it myself in Artemis 2.3 to see if it works correctly.

__________________
"The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight."
- Winston Churchill
Nighthawk

Registered:
Posts: 141
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrew
I had some serious lag issues with The Battle of Elihu 12, when large numbers of fighters were in play. But that could have been linked to me recording at the time?


Probably a network issue?
If you were connecting to yourself through a router, try connecting back to 127.0.0.1 instead of your IP

I did that, pumped the network refresh rate up, and that mostly got rid of the lag, even with another download in the background.
it shifted the lag over to the other download, though... so it's probably a ping issue.
parpar88

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Substelny
I have placed the latest versions of four of my mission scripts here for you to download. These include the canonical battles "The Sirius Feint" and "The Battle of Elihu 12."

I have not tested them with Artemis 2.3. Please let me know if they work or malfunction for you.


What version of Artemis do u suggest we play this on?
Thank you for uploading these. I have wanted to play these for awhile.

__________________
Proud member of the Epic crew of the TSN Belisarius BS 108
Lieutenant Adam Parra in the TSN RP 
Comms of the TSN Dauntless

Eastern Front online group member
Mike Substelny

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,741
Reply with quote  #11 
Always try with the latest version you can find. If it doesn't work revert to an earlier version.
__________________
"The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight."
- Winston Churchill
SteampunkSkunk

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #12 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Substelny


I believe every one of the mission scripts has a ReadMe file. You should read these and use information in them to brief the crews before the battle.

There was one more canonical battle at Artemis Armada One canned "Operation Ocelot" that I have not yet re-released. It played well enough in Artemis 2.1.x, but it got laggy and crashed in Artemis 2.2.x. This seemed to be related to the large number of Arvonian carriers because the crash happened when all of the carriers launched their fighters. I would like to try it myself in Artemis 2.3 to see if it works correctly.

 

Thank you, I will check them out.

Arrew

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,721
Reply with quote  #13 
Just finished the Sirius Feint. The final comms message is bugged but a fun mission. Pretty tough. 
SteampunkSkunk

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #14 

Ran over a dozen groups through "Havoc in the Hamok sector" this weekend.  Great module and lots of fun was had.  I did discover a few issues though (I ran V2.3).


1) Tachyon source 3 bugged out every game,  it would teleport like crazy when approached... 20+ times in a second and then would stop near where it spawned.  However it would appear to be in one place on the scanners and in a different place when viewed visually.  The visual location would be the correct place and it could only be destroyed by targeting it and using visual to fly up to it and shoot it (according to the weapons, helm and science screens it would appear to be out of range).  Could it be too close to the edge of the map?

2) The game would not end.  Even if all the tachyon sources and all the enemy ships were destroyed the game would keep on going.  I had to manually end it at that point.

3) This is a minor gripe with the documentation.  The way the audio tracks are described it makes it sound like they come from the communications console.  I had speakers just for this purpose but could not get the tracks to play.  I found out after some messing around that the sounds come from the server.  The wording in the documentation may need some clarification.

Other than these minor issues my players had a fantastic time.  Thank you for a great module.

Mike Substelny

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,741
Reply with quote  #15 
1) Tachyon Source 3 has always had that bug. Perhaps it is too close to the edge, but science has a message explaining that it is especially hard to target.

2) Apparently I need to update the ending code. Did you get a final message from Admiral Weeks after all the enemies were destroyed?

3) You're right, I should re-word the documentation. Being able to hear those messages is important, and I hope other make more missions where it is even more important in the future.

__________________
"The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight."
- Winston Churchill
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.