Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Scionica

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #16 
Hm, and I have one of the older USB to DMX adapters from holidaycoro.

A couple bridges ran into this exact same scenario at Armada II.  v2.309 was released the day of Armada, which I understand was eventually released to the public as v2.4.  Same deal, the game would start, but as soon as clients join, it would crash, citing a random selection of .dll files.  I believe the other bridge that had the same problem had the ENTTEC adapter.  Leaving the USB adapter unplugged means the game works fine.  I've tried different OSes and it crashes regardless of OS.  I have a different DMX adapter on order in case it has something to do with the adapter itself.

__________________
Captain, TSN HOW2STARSHIP???, Chicago, IL
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,221
Reply with quote  #17 
So, I have an interesting update about this issue through my own use to add. I had previously said that I did not have an issue with the new version of bridge tools; as I started our weekly game last night I realized this was only partially true.

The Artemis file I was using was a direct copy from my home PC rather than the server it was on and I forgot to list it as an install location in bridge tools (it was linked to the bridge tools on my home PC). The DMX cues were working, but not because it was linked to the Bridge tools program. When I did link it to the bridge tools, it would. Since we were on game time I just went with what worked and didn't do much in the way of troubleshooting to figure out what is wrong Though I am wondering if hooking the Artemis install location to the bridge tools and then unhooking it would allow you to have working DMX and keep it from crashing. I will try to do more testing next week.


__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
Scionica

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #18 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsabbat
So, I have an interesting update about this issue through my own use to add. I had previously said that I did not have an issue with the new version of bridge tools; as I started our weekly game last night I realized this was only partially true.

The Artemis file I was using was a direct copy from my home PC rather than the server it was on and I forgot to list it as an install location in bridge tools (it was linked to the bridge tools on my home PC). The DMX cues were working, but not because it was linked to the Bridge tools program. When I did link it to the bridge tools, it would. Since we were on game time I just went with what worked and didn't do much in the way of troubleshooting to figure out what is wrong Though I am wondering if hooking the Artemis install location to the bridge tools and then unhooking it would allow you to have working DMX and keep it from crashing. I will try to do more testing next week.


I can confirm that this method works - I was able to load in my DMX cues and then uninstall Bridge Tools, and no crashing!  Most of the DMX cues worked just fine, but since Bridge Tools adds some additional DMX cues to what's in the game, not all of them would trigger.


__________________
Captain, TSN HOW2STARSHIP???, Chicago, IL
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionica


I can confirm that this method works - I was able to load in my DMX cues and then uninstall Bridge Tools, and no crashing!  Most of the DMX cues worked just fine, but since Bridge Tools adds some additional DMX cues to what's in the game, not all of them would trigger.



Thanks so much for the advice! We just reloaded Bridge Tools 2.13, and everything was working again; my tech friend had been reloaded later versions (3.2 maybe), and when it was still crashing, he started trouble-shooting in other directions. We are just going to run 2.4 with 2.13 until we have more confidence in the upgrade process. Onward and upward!
Scionica

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith


Thanks so much for the advice! We just reloaded Bridge Tools 2.13, and everything was working again; my tech friend had been reloaded later versions (3.2 maybe), and when it was still crashing, he started trouble-shooting in other directions. We are just going to run 2.4 with 2.13 until we have more confidence in the upgrade process. Onward and upward!


I started going down this same train of thought this morning, starting from Bridge Tools 2.8 and working my way up until I ran into trouble.  I was actually able to get all the way to 3.1 and remain stable.  It isn't until I install 3.2 or 3.3 that I start to run into trouble.  

__________________
Captain, TSN HOW2STARSHIP???, Chicago, IL
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionica


I started going down this same train of thought this morning, starting from Bridge Tools 2.8 and working my way up until I ran into trouble.  I was actually able to get all the way to 3.1 and remain stable.  It isn't until I install 3.2 or 3.3 that I start to run into trouble.  


Good to know! Thanks for troubleshooting this situation. Do you know if others are having the same issue? I don't know what value upgrading to 3.1 would have for us, as I don't really know the differences in the versions. Right now, we are just happy to have our lights working again!
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,221
Reply with quote  #22 
I believe that 3.2 and 3.3 added the ability to play videos with a DMX cue
__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
Dave Thaler

Registered:
Posts: 452
Reply with quote  #23 
Thanks for the bug reports, I'll work on tracking this down now that I'm back from a long trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I don't really know the differences in the versions.

The differences are listed at the link I provided earlier in this thread (this link).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionica
I ran into the same behavior at Armada II, as Thom released a new version that day which wasn't compatible with Bridge Tools

Same symptom, different cause.  If there’s a new release of Artemis that makes a breaking change to the protocol, Bridge Tools gets confused.  ABTv3.3 detects this and simply loses some of its added features (like the extra DMX cues), but shouldn’t crash so that issue can hopefully be avoided going forward.   That's separate from any crash due to ABT being updated, but Artemis not being changed.  That shouldn't happen, but apparently there's some case when it does that some of you hit that I don't.

Quote:
I was actually able to get all the way to 3.1 and remain stable.  It isn't until I install 3.2 or 3.3 that I start to run into trouble.


That's helpful information as it narrows down where to look.  I understand all three of you (Steve Smith, Scionica, and Lightwave_Gecko) have an Enttec Open controller, are running Artemis 2.4, and upgraded ABT from 3.1 or earlier, to the latest.  If anyone hitting this could PM me a link (e.g., dropbox) to your DmxDevices.xml and DMXcommands-yourprofilehere.xml files, that would also speed up tracking this down.

 

Lightwave_Gecko

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 111
Reply with quote  #24 
Here's mine.  It's not like it's top secret or anything.  [smile]

-JP

 
Attached Files
zip Lightwave_Gecko_Dmx_Files.zip (1.97 KB, 2 views)

Scionica

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #25 
I PMed, but I'll post it here too in case other people care.

I don't have the Enttec Open, I actually have one of the generic FTDI-based USB to DMX adapters, but as I understand it, it still uses the same driver in Artemis (and, by extension, Bridge Tools)

 
Attached Files
zip DMXstuff.zip (3.27 KB, 3 views)


__________________
Captain, TSN HOW2STARSHIP???, Chicago, IL

Dave Thaler

Registered:
Posts: 452
Reply with quote  #26 
Thanks, for the test files. I've now released Artemis Bridge Tools v3.4 which should not have this problem. Please grab it and let me know if you find any issues.
Scionica

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thaler
Thanks, for the test files. I've now released Artemis Bridge Tools v3.4 which should not have this problem. Please grab it and let me know if you find any issues.


This works great!

Thanks again for working on this program, and being so receptive and responsive to requests and bug reports.  The DMX functionality goes a long way to adding to the immersion of the game, and your software has enabled me to make my bridge something that I think looks pretty darn cool.

__________________
Captain, TSN HOW2STARSHIP???, Chicago, IL
Lightwave_Gecko

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 111
Reply with quote  #28 
Worked on this end!  I noticed in the release notes it said to avoid certain functions with the Enttec.  Can you elaborate on that?

-JP
Dave Thaler

Registered:
Posts: 452
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwave_Gecko
Worked on this end!


Glad it's working again for everyone!

Quote:
I noticed in the release notes it said to avoid certain functions with the Enttec.  Can you elaborate on that?


Sure.  The ABT feature that's interfering with Enttec controllers is the feature that adds additional mission scripting commands.  That feature works by monitoring what's written to the mission log, for commands to execute.  But that feature is only used if you actually have a special mission that takes advantage of such commands.  So for any of the stock scenarios or existing missions that people have written, it won't make any difference.   Finally the other relevant feature is CUSTOM_* cues, that are meant to be triggered via a tracing socket.  So if you're not using CUSTOM_* cues, you won't miss anything.   The reason that doesn't work is that the presence of a CUSTOM_* cue was (oddly) used to enable monitoring the mission log for special commands.   That's easy to fix in the future so CUSTOM_* cues can be used with Enttec controllers, but since additional mission scripting commands are almost never used, fixing additional mission scripting commands on the other hand is low priority right now.
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,221
Reply with quote  #30 
I was having crashing issues as well on the last version. I did try the new version on my home PC, not the bridge server with the actual DMX lighting, and it seemed to run fine with the Bridge tools attached to the exe file. I will try it again on Tues when my group meets to run an actual test.


__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.