Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #1 
I am hoping someone can make some suggestions I can pass on to a tech buddy tomorrow morning to get our Artemis set up working again. We have dozens of people coming to see our bridge tomorrow at 1 pm, so I am a little stressed, and I am not a tech guy. My tech friend is busy tonight, but he said he will try whatever recommendations I have for him tomorrow at about 11 am.

So, Artemis 2.4 was working perfectly with DMX commands my friend programmed on a Lenovo Windows 8 laptop. We played with 5 iPad 2s, and our bridge has a 75" monitor, 8 slimpar 56 lights, two light bars--all good for many weeks! Hours of play with absolutely no issues.

Then I (yep, it's totally my fault) downloaded some mission scripts written by a student last year for an earlier version of Artemis, and I put the folders in the missions folder. I also saw available updates for Artemis Bridge Tools, so I downloaded those. I think Windows did an update also.

Since then whenever I run the program, regardless of whether I run a mission script or not, I get the "Artemis.exe stopped working" crash after 30 seconds to a few minutes of play. Up to that point, light effects (and everything else) works fine. I have moved the new mission folders out-no change. Reinstalled the 2.4 update-no change. Turned everything off and on again many times-no change. Any suggestions that might save our demonstration tomorrow afternoon?
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,221
Reply with quote  #2 
the best thing I can think to do is to delete Artemis and try it again with a new install. I havent played with the new bridge tools much, but it seems like it was working ok


__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks so much for the reply. That is actually something I can do, it might just cost me another $40 though...which, considering my situation, is a small price to pay!

BTW, I am originally from Huber Heights, OH, and one of my brothers lives in Cleveland, so we will be coming to Armada III to meet and learn from as many Artemis experts as possible!
notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,221
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Thanks so much for the reply. That is actually something I can do, it might just cost me another $40 though...which, considering my situation, is a small price to pay!

BTW, I am originally from Huber Heights, OH, and one of my brothers lives in Cleveland, so we will be coming to Armada III to meet and learn from as many Artemis experts as possible!


Awesome! I am definitely looking forward to it. Armada is a lot of fun.

If you need to buy another copy, you can also get a single user for $7.





__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
BigEd

Registered:
Posts: 183
Reply with quote  #5 
I'm not sure why you would have to re-purchase the game.  You should be able re-install from the original installation file you downloaded.  I would think you should be able to copy the DMX config file, but I've never done the DMX stuff.
Dave Thaler

Registered:
Posts: 452
Reply with quote  #6 
I haven't heard of any issues with Artemis Bridge Tools v3.3, but if you want to go back to an earlier version of Artemis Bridge Tools just to check, all the older versions are still available here.
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thaler
I haven't heard of any issues with Artemis Bridge Tools v3.3, but if you want to go back to an earlier version of Artemis Bridge Tools just to check, all the older versions are still available here.


Thanks for the reply and link; we will definitely do that this morning!
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd
I'm not sure why you would have to re-purchase the game.  You should be able re-install from the original installation file you downloaded.  I would think you should be able to copy the DMX config file, but I've never done the DMX stuff.


Good point-thanks!
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #9 
So, we repurchased and redownloaded everything, but didn't upgrade the Bridge Tools, and it is still crashing. We have changed computers as well. Is it possible that something in our DMX file could be causing the crashing? Other thoughts? Time is running out.
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #10 
Just as a follow up; the new download of Artemis ran fine without the Bridge Tools installed. While it wasn't as cool for our observers without the lights, the big screen helped, and we did have some positive comments on the game. We will start again with the Bridge Tools and reprogram the lights from scratch, and maybe that will solve the problem. Thanks again to everyone for your input and support!
Dave Thaler

Registered:
Posts: 452
Reply with quote  #11 
If you find that it was a problem in the DMXcommands file, I'd like to see a copy of it.  I'm not aware of any case where it could cause a crash.
Scionica

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thaler
If you find that it was a problem in the DMXcommands file, I'd like to see a copy of it.  I'm not aware of any case where it could cause a crash.

I actually ran into the same thing today. I updated Artemis to 2.4 and Bridge Tools to 3.3 this morning, and had it crash after a few seconds. Uninstalling Bridge Tools made it work again.

Perhaps related, perhaps not, I ran into the same behavior at Armada II, as Thom released a new version that day which wasn't compatible with Bridge Tools. Are there logs or something we can provide?

__________________
Captain, TSN HOW2STARSHIP???, Chicago, IL
Scionica

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Just as a follow up; the new download of Artemis ran fine without the Bridge Tools installed. While it wasn't as cool for our observers without the lights, the big screen helped, and we did have some positive comments on the game. We will start again with the Bridge Tools and reprogram the lights from scratch, and maybe that will solve the problem. Thanks again to everyone for your input and support!


I've been troubleshooting a bunch of things related to this.  What type of USB to DMX adapter do you have?  I think my issues may be related to that adapter, since Artemis 2.4 with Bridge Tools 3.3 run just fine without that adapter plugged in.

__________________
Captain, TSN HOW2STARSHIP???, Chicago, IL
Steve Smith

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionica


I've been troubleshooting a bunch of things related to this.  What type of USB to DMX adapter do you have?  I think my issues may be related to that adapter, since Artemis 2.4 with Bridge Tools 3.3 run just fine without that adapter plugged in.


Thanks for continuing to look into this. We have an ENT TEC OPENDMX usb 2.0 (Non-isolated DMX512 Interface)  We are going to try to go back to an earlier version of Bridge Tools and get things working again, although I would be very interested in fixing the issue so we can be updated.
Lightwave_Gecko

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 111
Reply with quote  #15 
I had this problem last week after updating to the newest Bridge Tools.  I reverted my Bridge Tools back to the version I had been running and it fixed that.  I'm waiting until the next version hits before trying again.  I was hoping to try some of the mission options in the new version, but for now I will wait.  I have an Enttec adapter, one of the original ones Thom wrote the game for, so I'm sure that's not it.  The game will run fine until a client joins the server, then it will run for a second or two and then crash.  If the clients are already connected before starting the server, it will crash during the part where the camera zooms in on the ship.  Always in exactly the same spot.  2.13 is the version I'm using that works.

-JP
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.