Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
techbear

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 127
Reply with quote  #1 

Armada 4 was a ton of fun! It went smoothly because of the tireless work of the con committee, and because all the attendees were awesome, friendly, and helpful.

However, it also costs a lot to make it happen. The hotel charged me $10,000 for the ballroom, extra room, and drink tickets. I had many other expenses too. This is not new; I've been paying to make Armada happen each year, and I regret nothing. But Artemis sales aren't what they once were, so these costs are unsustainable.

So, The con committee and I have decided to take a break for 2019, and focus on creating Armada 5 in 2020. We will not host an official Armada event in 2019.

I will continue Artemis development! The videogame and the convention are two separate things. Artemis is still a "live" software product, and I plan to release major updates this year.

Thanks for making the Artemis player community a great group to be a part of!

- Thom Robertson

notsabbat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,163
Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you for everything you do!


__________________
-Captain of the TSN Gungnir JN-001
-Eastern Front online group member
-My continuing bridge build:
http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/immersion-bridge-build-in-progress-7335195?pid=1290158413
Longbowman1346

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 537
Reply with quote  #3 
Totally understandable!  And thank you for all that you do!   
__________________
Captain -  TSN Belisarius BS-108
"Pax per consilia et maxime armis." -  "Rescindentes venator ad venationem." 

(Deane Geiken)
JohnS26

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #4 
If someone was able to raise enough money say through a go find me for example would it be possible to have an Armada in 2019?
__________________
Capt. John Scales                  
Commanding Officer                              
TSN Hamilton
2nd Light Division
Terran Stellar Navy Canadian Fleet
United Space Faring Planets 

Next duty shift: March 11th, 2018
UP Games
105 King St E Hamilton, Ontario
12:00pm-5:00pm
$5 Cover
For more info please check out event in the calendar.

Website: tsn-artemis.ca 
Fleet FB: facebook.com/tsncanada
You Tube: TSN-2nd Light Division
Twitch: twitch.tv/2ndlightdivision


Longbowman1346

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 537
Reply with quote  #5 
To raise money for the same people to put it on in the same locale or as a whole new location and host?


__________________
Captain -  TSN Belisarius BS-108
"Pax per consilia et maxime armis." -  "Rescindentes venator ad venationem." 

(Deane Geiken)
JohnS26

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbowman1346
To raise money for the same people to put it on in the same locale or as a whole new location and host?


Raise money for the same host same venue.

__________________
Capt. John Scales                  
Commanding Officer                              
TSN Hamilton
2nd Light Division
Terran Stellar Navy Canadian Fleet
United Space Faring Planets 

Next duty shift: March 11th, 2018
UP Games
105 King St E Hamilton, Ontario
12:00pm-5:00pm
$5 Cover
For more info please check out event in the calendar.

Website: tsn-artemis.ca 
Fleet FB: facebook.com/tsncanada
You Tube: TSN-2nd Light Division
Twitch: twitch.tv/2ndlightdivision


parpar88

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 206
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by techbear

Armada 4 was a ton of fun! It went smoothly because of the tireless work of the con committee, and because all the attendees were awesome, friendly, and helpful.

However, it also costs a lot to make it happen. The hotel charged me $10,000 for the ballroom, extra room, and drink tickets. I had many other expenses too. This is not new; I've been paying to make Armada happen each year, and I regret nothing. But Artemis sales aren't what they once were, so these costs are unsustainable.

So, The con committee and I have decided to take a break for 2019, and focus on creating Armada 5 in 2020. We will not host an official Armada event in 2019.

I will continue Artemis development! The videogame and the convention are two separate things. Artemis is still a "live" software product, and I plan to release major updates this year.

Thanks for making the Artemis player community a great group to be a part of!

- Thom Robertson



Thanks for your transparency Thom! Though sad, I know it takes a lot of work and money to make Armada to work.
If you are a fan of Artemis, I encourage you all to make a local community and get ready for Armada 2020. Its a lot easier than you think and you will make new best friends. 

__________________
Proud member of the Epic crew of the TSN Belisarius BS 108
Lieutenant Adam Parra in the TSN RP 
Comms of the TSN Dauntless

Eastern Front online group member
Mike Substelny

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 2,049
Reply with quote  #8 
Of course if someone else throws an Artemis convention in 2019 I would be happy to attend it. [smile]
__________________
"The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight."
- Winston Churchill
DupeOfURL

Registered:
Posts: 220
Reply with quote  #9 
Thom - first off, thank you for making the first 4 Armadas happen.  Armadas 1 thru 4 have been a great source of joy to me.  And thank you for trusting us, your loyal Artemis playing community, with this sad news.  I'm sure we'll handle this with our usual cool aplomb.  {AAIIEEE!!!  EVERYBODY PANIC!!!}  As Mike said, IF someone gets something together, I'll be there! 
BTW - I like your usage of the "I regret nothing." meme!  #VeryNice.     

__________________
on TeamSpeak as GreyBeard {the Grim}  ;-)
Chief Engineer of the Fulminata, one of the Pirates Of BeechWood! 
Spartak Ragnarok

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS26
If someone was able to raise enough money say through a go find me for example would it be possible to have an Armada in 2019?


I think it's not just an issue of money, but of the time and effort it took to put Armada 4 together.  This is my own personal observation, so I'm not deigning to speak for anyone here, but Armada 4 took a lot out of us, and perhaps a little too much out of a few of us.  Having said that, I am pretty confident of two things:

1) There's going to be something Artemis-related in 2019, although what form it will be I can't really say,

2) Armada 5 in 2020 is going to be unbelievably kick-ass and will be worth the wait.
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #11 
I am looking forward to Armada 5. I hope to bring my bridge and get to check out all the amazing other bridges out there. I am very thankful for all the work you put in. 
ogremasch

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #12 
I am looking forward to Armada 5. I hope to bring my bridge and get to check out all the amazing other bridges out there. I am very thankful for all the work you put in. 
mindlord

Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #13 
Thank you Thom & crew! Like many have said, the last four Armadas have always been highlights. Can't wait for Armada 5 but I can lend some prep skills and or a bridge & crew if anyone is starting some small con or get together to hold us over for 2020. Warning, we may dress in weird costumes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.